The article “Is There a Black Belt in Your Future” highlights the Silverbacks as a practical self defense system for Seniors.
Penned by Mike Dunphy for Next Avenue an online resource for seniors by PBS, this article mentions some of Modern Warrior’s instructor staff Vinny Spakowski and Arthur Moody!
Read it here: http://www.nextavenue.org/article/2013-01/senior-self-defense-there-black-belt-your-future
The Modern Warrior Environmental Simulator Room™ has been constantly evolving since its opening in 1992. Some of the cool things we do in here are:
- Sparring in the rain.
- Fight in the elevator.
- Practice techniques in the narrow hallway.
- Discover what it’s like to fight on a staircase. (The up-side is a lot different than the down-side!)
- Defend against carjackings.
- Practice car stops.
- Run an obstacle course.
- Shoot at pop-up targets. (Some of them shoot back.)
- Practice on the subway simulator. (The white poles telescope down to simulate subway poles and we place benches to simulate subways seats.)
- Climb a fence.
- Roll under a fence.
- Jump off the low platform (1st floor window equivalent.)
- Jump off the high platform (2nd floor window equivalent.)
- Go across the hand over hand ladder.
- Do all this in windy, foggy, rainy and/or low or changing light conditions
The Environmental Simulator Room is the first of its kind in creating realistic training elements. Learn about upcoming opportunities to use this facility by contacting 888-MWARRIOR (outside the US please call 631-226-8383).
Classes were suspended over the three day weekend in observance of Labor Day. To get our students back into the swing of things, Modern Warrior is offering a make up day this Wednesday. Classes regularly scheduled for Monday will be held this Wednesday, September 5th:
- 9-10 am: Silverbacks: Self Defense for Senior Citizens and/or those with a chronic ailment
- 6-6:50 pm: Cardio Kickboxing
- 7-8 pm: Silverbacks: Self Defense for Ladies age 13-17
- 8-9 pm: Silverbacks: Self Defense for Senior Citizens and/or those with a chronic ailment
For more information contact the General Manager at 631-226-8383.
It’s that time again: students are preparing to take their Defensive Test. Upon passing the test students will earn their Yellow Belt!
Although in other schools a Yellow Belt may not be great distinction, Modern Warrior Students take a measured amount of pride in earning this belt. One student who had studied numerous styles of Martial Arts to the Brown Belt level said that after he passed his Yellow Belt test was the first time he felt that he could defend himself. Wow!–that’s quite a statement.
We have completed the first week of evaluations and are currently in the second and final stage before the Defensive Test next week.
Best of luck to all of the candidates!